Short Term Students Visa Requirements'


1. Overview

You can apply for a Short-term study visa if:

·         you’re doing a short course of study in the UK

·         you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

·         you meet the other eligibility requirements

You need a Standard Visitor visa if you’re an academic visitor.

You can’t apply if you qualify for British citizenship - including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

·         do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course

·         do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad

You can’t:

·         study at a state school

·         work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business

·         extend this visa

·         bring family members (‘dependants’) with you - they must apply separately

·         get public funds

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for:

·         6 months - for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over

·         11 months - if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course


It costs:

·         £93 for a 6 month visa

·         £179 for an 11 month visa

How long it takes

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from.

2. Eligibility

You must prove that you:

·         have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study

·         have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you

·         can pay for your return or onward journey

If you’re under 18 you must also:

·         have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK

·         have permission from your parent or guardian to study in the UK

Where you can study

You must be accepted on a course with an education provider that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence.

Otherwise your course will need to be held at an educational institution listed by one of the following:

·         Accreditation Body for Language Services

·         Accreditation Service for International Colleges

·         Accreditation UK

·         Bridge Schools Inspectorate

·         British Accreditation Council

·         Education and Training Inspectorate (in Northern Ireland)

·         Estyn (in Wales)

·         HM Inspectorate of Education (in Scotland)

·         Independent Schools Inspectorate

·         Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)

·         Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education

·         Schools Inspection Service

Learning English as a foreign language

You must be at least 18 years old and accepted on a course to learn English as a foreign language if you’re applying for an 11 month Short-term study visa.

A mixed course, some of which is spent studying English, doesn’t count.

3. Documents you must provide

When you apply you need to provide:

·         a current passport or other valid travel identification

·         evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months with, Maintenance money @ £ 1265 per month x duration of course + Fees paid receipt or the money in Bank held at least since last 28 days 90 days to be on the safe side


·         details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa

·         your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

·         contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if you’re under 18 years old)

You need to provide the original documents.

You also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.

Documents about your course

You must provide proof of the course you’re studying, for example a letter of acceptance from the educational institution - on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation).

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, such as evidence of your:

·         previous study, for example academic certificates, references or transcripts

·         English language qualifications, for example certificates or awards

·         accommodation and travel plans

·         permission to be in the country you’re applying from (if you’re not a national)

·         financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies

You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them.

The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.

4. Apply

You must apply online for a Short-term study visa.

You need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in - check with your visa application centre.

North Korea

You can’t apply online if you’re living in North Korea.

To apply from North Korea you must:

·         download the application form

·         read the instructions for North Korea on how to apply